Saturday, March 29, 2008

shoegazers.


You'll eventually notice getting to know me that music is without a doubt my favorite medium. I truly wish i was a rockstar or dj instead of a "glass artist", but i guess certain things were just not meant to be.
Anyway, i have a very diverse musical taste, and one of my favorite "genres" is "shoegazing". Simple explanation is that the musicians were called shoegazers because they stay bent over their guitars staring at their shoes, concentrating with all their souls on the dissonant wall of sound they are conjuring.
My Bloody Valentine defines this sound. They just dont make bands like this anymore, and it makes me quite sad. If i were a musician today, i would try to ressurrect this sound, shit maybe even just start as an MBV cover band.
I never got to see them play back in the day; almost once on a shared bill with Dinosaur JR at the RITZ in NYC in 1991. For some odd reason i skipped it, and this other dude i know in high school told me they played a single note for like 23 minutes or something. DAMN, i still kick myself over missing that.
Now they are playing some reunion shows for 2008, and as of now, the closest one to me is in Europe....jesus christ these 90's bands dont make things easy on me, the Pixies made me fly to Winnipeg in 2004.

if you like MY BLOODY VALENTINE, see also RIDE, LUSH, SWIRLIES, CURVE, Th' FAITH HEALERS, MILF.

No comments: